468x60

MCD - 11

Jun 9, 2012
Out of a batch of 60, I was the only one with a Hijab on. For many of my North- Indian friends, I was their first contact with a Muslim.I was subject to glances and comments on my choice of a different attire. I had to answer many questions of why I wear the Hijab to why I don't eat anything during the month of Ramadan. It was Oct of 2006.

Fast forward to February of 2012.

While going to write one of the Entrance exams which was online based, we had to go in for a pre-test registration, for which they had to go take a photograph via the web cam.

The officials at the desk : " Remove your head covering"
Me : " I will not "

The male official looked at the female official with a surprised -what-to-do-now look.

Female Official : "At least remove the pin n loosen your scarf so that the shape of your face is clear" (As though we were convicted felons and not students about to write an exam!)

On not wanting to make a bigger scene, I loosened my Shayla (removed the hijab pin) such that it still covers my entire hair.




One of my friends, L, who hails from Rajasthan, was behind me in the queue and was quietly noticing the entire conversation. After his registration, he comes over to me and asks...




L : " Why did you remove your safety pin?"
Me : "They told me to !"
L : " You didn't have to "
Me : " I said No once...."
L: " They are not even college or university officials. They are just people sitting on the desk. You should have said a firm No once more..... "

I was pleasantly surprised on being supported by a friend, of different faith, who doesnt know much about mine, yet still defended and supported me, knowing fully well, it is a decision close to my heart.

Media never gives a positive impression of our religion. But if you can change one person's negative view of your religion in to a positive one , by way of your action,views or deeds, then that too is a tiny weeny bit of success from your part.

I leave with this Hadith :

 Abu Darda (RA) reported that Rasulullah (SAW) said, “Nothing is weightier on the Scale of Deeds than one’s good manners.”(Al-Bukhari)

May Allah make us amongst those with the best of manners. May He forgive our shortcomings and weakness. May He make us good ambassadors of our religion.





0 comments: